Hairdressing - Level 2 Certificate for Cutting and Styling Services
From one length cuts to blow drying perfection this is a great course the start
What will the course involve?You will cover the range of essential practical skills and knowledge which will help you get a job in a salon as a Junior Stylist doing:
- Principals and practices– safe working, communication techniques and advising clients
- Shampooing and conditioning – principals of scalp massage
- Styling and setting - straightening, smoothing, creating volume, rollering, spiral curling, pin curling, setting techniques etc. Finishing, twisting and plaiting hair – cornrows, French plait, fishtail, two stand twists etc
- Cutting – club cutting, free hand, scissor over comb, texturing, one length, uniform layer, short and long graduation.
- A keen interest in hairdressing, want to work with people and have excellent attendance.
- You must meet deadlines and be committed to your course.
- GCSE maths and English A - C grade is preferred. If you do not hold a C in English and/or maths you will be required to study these further as this part of the course.
- You must attend a work experience placement each week, you will take part in enrichment activities including competitions and additional courses.
EquipmentYou will need a kit and uniform which we will explain at interview. If you are worried about paying towards a kit and uniform please talk to us and we can see if you can get a bursary.
- Practical assessment on clients in our training salons and questions in class.
- You will complete some assignments and may need to work towards Functional Skills or GCSE. You will take an end of year exam.
General commentsYou will need to ask friends and family to come in so that you can practice and do practical assessments. We will invite you to taster sessions and give you an advice and guidance interview before you start the course to make sure this is the correct route for you and allocate any support.
What will the course lead to?If you wish to specialise in hair we recommend that you progress onto a Technical Certificate for Hair Colouring Services including perming, you may develop your skills more with a Level 3 Apprenticeship or you could study barbering or beauty therapy. Another option is to work on cruise liners or further qualifications could lead to teaching/assessing and onto a degree.
Apply for Hairdressing - Level 2 Certificate for Cutting and Styling Services Course
Hairdressing Case Study
Apprentice at Donnelles Hair Studio in Seamer
Carly originally trained as a dancer but when she had a family she decided on a change of career and chose hairdressing. As part of her apprenticeship studied at The Academy one day a week on Level 2 Hairdressing. After winning a place at The Academy hair and beauty competitions in January she competed at the AHT Regional Heats in Gateshead and then went on to compete at the AHT National Finals where she won 2nd place - a fantastic achievement. Well done Carly!