The course for salon skills from warm waxing to Dermalogica facials and manicure to eye treatments
- Anatomy and physiology – the skin, structure of the skin and nails, bones of face
- Hair removal – warm and hot wax
- Facials including male skincare cleansing, facial massage, mask application etc.
- Manicure and pedicure cuticle work, masks, massage, varnishing including French
- Gel varnish – preparing the nails, applying light cured gel and removing gel polish
- Lash and brows – Brow shape, brow and lash tint, lash lift and strip lashes
- Applying make up – face shapes, applying and choosing make up products
- Safe working practices and communication with clients
- You must have a keen interest in the industry, want to work with people and have excellent attendance.
- You must meet deadlines and be committed to your course.
- GCSE maths and English A - C grade is preferred. If you do not hold a C in English and/or maths you will be required to study these further as this is part of the course.
- You must attend a work experience placement each week, you will take part in enrichment activities including competitions and additional courses.
EquipmentYou will need a kit and uniform which we will explain at interview. If you are worried about paying towards a kit and uniform please talk to us and we can see if you can get a bursary.
- Practical assessment on clients in our training salons and questions in class.
- You will complete some assignments and may need to work towards Functional Skills or GCSE. You will take an end of year exam.
General commentsYou will need to ask friends and family to come in so that you can practice and do practical assessments. We will invite you to taster sessions and give you an advice and guidance interview before you start the course to make sure this is the correct route for you and allocate any support.
What will the course lead to?You could progress onto a Level 3 Beauty Therapy course or you may wish to do hairdressing course or get an Apprenticeship. Another option is to work on cruise liners or further qualifications could lead to teaching/assessing and onto a degree.
Alise moved from Latvia aged 16 and joined The Academy on the level 2 beauty course. She completed her work experience placement at No. 1 Health & Beauty in Malton and was offered an apprenticeship. She will now go on to study Level 3 Beauty Therapy with us whilst working in the salon. She has also completed her Level 2 Functional Skills in maths qualification and Level 1 English.